Analog Thoughts on a Digital Age

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Movie Review:"Wedding Crashers" (2005)

I apologize to you if I don't seem eager to jump into a forced awkward intimate situation people like to call dating. I don't like the feeling. Your sitting there thinking do I have food on my face, am I eating, am I talking too much. Are they talking enough, am I interested, I'm not really interested, should I play like I'm interested, but I'm not that interested but I think she's interested. But do I want to be interested, but now she's not interested so now I start to get interested. Or am I supposed to kiss her, do I have to wait for the door. Cause then it's awkward, well good night, do a ass out hug. Where you hug each other like this where your ass sticks out. Cause your trying not to get too close. Or you go right in and kiss them on the lips. Or don't kiss them at all. It's very difficult to read the situation. All the while your just waiting to see if we get hopped up enough to make some bad decisions. Perhaps play a little game called just the tip, just for a second, just to see how it feels. Or ouch ouch you're on my hair.Expectations can do a lot to the overall appreciation of a movie. Too much heightened expectations usually result in diminished appreciation, whereas lowered expectations usually result in a heightened appreciation for the film. I have seen this happened many, many times.

However, there are movies where no matter how high your expectations are, they manage to surpass them...and then give you more.

Wedding Crashers is the story of two best friends John and Jeremy (Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughan), two divorce moderators who crash weddings on a regular basis to pick up women. Commited to their cause, they go through wedding after wedding with a set of rules that guarantee their safety from curious relatives to "Level 5 clingers" or virgins who want to run away with them.
One day they crash the biggest wedding of the year, The nuptial of the daughter of Secretary of Treasury Cleary (Christopher Walken). Here John meets Claire, one of Cleary's daughters and falls for her. Suddenly the rules no longer apply to John, much to Jeremy's chagrin.

Vince Vaughan's comic timing is impeccable. His one-liners are classic and will be immortallized through the lips of college boys all accross the world. "I feel like Jodie Foster in 'The Accused'" he says, a morning after he was assaulted and 'raped' by Cleary's obsessive but red-hot younger daughter Gloria (Isla Fisher).

The chemistry between Owen Wilson and Rachel Mc Adams is very evident and penetrates through the screen. Sure its a Vaughan-Wilson comedy. How much romance can there be? I am man enough to admit that there were a few "kilig" moments that just give me goosebumps.

Part of their appeal is based on the fact that Wilson is a hearthtrob with the boyish "gee, gosh" appeal and that Rachel Mc Adams (whom I've had a major crush on since 'Hot Chick') is just perfect as the idealistic daughter of a bureaucrat, and comes out as the girl who you would like to bring home to meet your parents.

This 'do is way much better than the one I had in 'the Notebook'

Will Ferrel's cameo as Chaz Reingold, the master of Wedding Crashing was icing to this perfectly screwed up wedding cake.

This movie was said to be this year's "Dodgeball". Which is a pretty accurate description of the movie based on the humor and the laugh-a-minute rate. In terms of the movie's theme and overall feel it can't be more different. One one hand, it is a "college frat house" comedy along the line of "Animal House" or "Porky's" in terms of all the sexual humor and crude language. On another it is an effective romantic comedy that has just about as much girly stuff as your typical romantic comedy.

One of the complaints I have about the movie is not directed towards the actors or the filmmakers. It is towards the freakin' MTRCB. Their methods for classifying and censoring is very questionable. This was given an R in the US without cuts. They cut a lot of very important parts of the story just to fish out a PG 13 rating. Is this their way to increase the film's potential revenue? Why not stick in the R and let the kids out of it. Let them watch "Stealth" or something.

Other than that I highly recommend this movie. It is sure to give you the pheromone high you need for the day.

bastos ba yung ganito?


Rocketboy's Rating: ***** (5 out of 5)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's all about the money...that they would even sacrifice the quality of the movie for it.

3:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

naku naku naku. pero i dont blame the mtrcb. i blame the distributors. sila ung may gusto ng greater revenues.

esp abscbn. they cut fricking killbill2. argh.

10:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"shut up when you're talking to me!"

teehee.

11:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on! 5 out of 5? It's good but not THAT good. Anyways, your review, your blog, you have every right to rate it as a perfect movie. I guess you really loved it. But you must admit, you can see how the mediocre love angle would end up miles away. And the ending where all of them would crash weddings as Musicians form Utah? Sucks! Peace Man!

4:55 PM

 
Blogger the rocketboy said...

First of all, thanks for all your reactions.

Art: It's a sad thought. But think about it. If they just stop doing what they did, and lower the prices, if possible. Piracy may just have it's day.

Sedricke: Maybe the distributors released it anyway despite the cuts, right? To get more people age 17 and below inside a movie they probably wont understand. Evil.

Tin: Yup! Exactly, Babaganoosh!

Franch: Yes , hepe. 5 out of 5.

First of all...I'm a MOVIEFAN more than I am a critic. I like loving stupid movies. It would suck the life out of me if I limited myself to A1 flicks. Plus. I have said it once, I'll say it again. I HEART RACHEL MCADAMS!!

6:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home