Analog Thoughts on a Digital Age

Friday, November 04, 2005

Bollywood OldBoy Remake...Eh?

Im looking forward to the dance sequences, not the twist

(The sound of retching...vomit splattering into a garbage bin.)

Hack! (Rocketboy wipes his mouth with his damp facetowel, spits into bin)

Okay, I feel better now. I have to admit. I was a little hesitant in sharing this news, and I know that A lot of you my think I'm a little overreacting. But if you really knew me, you'd know that I'm not the over-reacting type of person. I try to keep it cool all the time, I can only be over reacting in my blog, which is why it exists, so that I can over react without looking like a douchebag.
You all know Chan Wook Park's Oldboy, right? (If you have been checking out this blog long enough, you'd already have been sick of hearing how much I love this movie and that I actually have two copies of this film in my collection). You know India, right? That country where all those guys in turbans and motorcycles come from, right? You know Bollywood? The Indian version of Hollywood (I'm getting to the point now, please be patient)? well turns out, like a LOT of hollywood movies they've redone before, they've created Zinda!

An Indian version of Oldboy!

And I'm not just talking about an "inspired by" or "based on the Korean blockbuster hit.." I'm taking about a shot-by-shot, direct copy with Bollywood actors instead of Choi Min Shik and Woo Ji Tae.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Bollywood movies. I find them rather entertaining, especially with all the dance sequences and all. What I don't get is that they have to put alt least one dance or song sequence in every movie that comes out, yes...even the serious ones. It is also speculated that OldBoy will be no different. I imagine a shuffle sequence in the infamous corridor fight sequence (chunks just shot up my throat!Gulp!)..haaah. I'm ok now.

Just to prove my point I have here a link to one of Bollywood's most treasured but little known 'adaptations' (read: knock offs)

"The Indian Superman"

I have come to save you Sanjeev

Props to Twitch

2 Comments:

Blogger GENIUS IS JUST ANOTHER MOUSE! said...

Oh well, even the US is guilty of knock-offs. At STC lately, the trend daw in the US is not remake, but RESTART. Whatever that means, it sounds bullshit to me. They're going to use an old film but they're totally going tio rework the story. The first film to be "re-started" is a Schwarzenneger (sic) film.

12:48 PM

 
Blogger sineasta said...

Wow! It's been a long time that I have posted anywhere and I almost forgot my password! Hehehe...

Is this true? You actually saw the movie? Hmmm...

There are actually Korean movies that do not mention whether they based their film in another film or not. Take for example "Summer Time". It is based on our very own "Scorpio Nights"! Character per character, scene by scene! I was shocked when I saw it. It made me wonder who copied whom.

12:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home