Analog Thoughts on a Digital Age

Friday, December 09, 2005

Sigaw To Get Hollywood Remake

here come the big bucksIn recent posts we have shown how much positive response Sigaw has gotten in the international front.

Producers in Hollywood like The Ring's Roy Lee have expressed their clamor for the film and their desire to market it abroad. Well, since that had happened, it looks like Sigaw will be getting full-on Hollywood treatment with a planned remake entitled, The Echo.

I know this is old news, except that the director Yam Laranas, who had recently come home from Los Angeles reported in his blog, the developments they had discussed with Lee and is pretty excited because it looks like it actually is gonna go through.

This will be history in the making, possibly the most significant jump in the history of Philippine cinema since Lino Brocka became a juror in the Cannes Film Festival.

I know most remakes suck. But hear this out. Sigaw, with all the lip service it is getting in the international horror circuit, is a pretty mediocre movie. Then again, so are a lot of block busters. The point is. Sigaw isn't that good to be ruined by a remake. In fact, in my humble opinion, there is a possibility that the remake may even be better than the original. Now before you bite my head off. I think this is a good thing. If there was a movie, any movie that I would want Hollywood to remake, it would be Sigaw. Why, because it is more close to the Hollywood template thanmost of our movies, which are more geared to please Filipino audiences. Sigaw has an international appeal. However, we have to admit, the quality of film used (stock transfer), however beautiful the shots are were, kinda made the movie fall short of it's intended level of quality.

Anyways, good news for us.


Props to TheMovieBlog

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree. it is still good news for us and our film industry.

and also, thanks for stating your opinion about SIGAW here. I agree too that "it ain't that great". i am happy for its success, but sucess doesn't mean the product was superior.

as i pointed out in my blog, way back... SIGAW eerily reminded me of the Hong Kong segment of the asian trilogy THREE. (have you seen it? "who copied what?" but i may be wrong, baka inspired lang)

but again, i stress, congrats to yam and his team pa rin.

and more power to your blog, btw.

4:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just when a film from your country gets noticed...you start to pull it down! i'm not a Laranas fan , but, guys...c'mon! Sigaw is very original. Just because you saw some other asian horror flick - you assume Sigaw is a copy from some other asian film? okay...the japanese invented the wheel... or the Koreans discovered fire? guys? c'mon... Sigaw is way better than ONE MISSED CALL, PHONE, BUNSHINSHABA, THE MAID!!!

5:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haaay Naku! TALANGKA!!!!

5:25 AM

 
Blogger the rocketboy said...

jove: Thanks. My Point exactly. Yam is an excellent director compared to other Philippine directors, even fellow asians and westerners. He just doesn't have much to work with. He's very good in making the best out of what he has. And producers recognize that. Thats why Sigaw is very lauded.

5:01 AM

 
Blogger the rocketboy said...

Anonymous:

"just when a film from your country gets noticed...you start to pull it down!"

Well first of all, I wasn't pulling it down. I merely said I thought it wasnt as good as people said it was...(there's a difference you know...its called an 'opinion'). Yam Laranas is blazing trains for other film makers right now. And it will pave the way for better films from other film makers to be recognized.

"Sigaw is very original"
You obviously haven't done your research. Check out this 2001 Korean film called SORUM, I think you'll find the plot a little familiar:

http://www.koreanfilm.org/kfilm01.html#sorum



Lizzie: If your referring to me being a "talangka" for pointing my opinionsi n my little blog, I respect that.

7:22 AM

 
Blogger Sedricke said...

read the news too at the movie blog (found out about that because of you). it's great news for our industry, i agree.

btw, have you seen the lineup for this year's filmfest? my gosh. made my head hurt.

6:47 PM

 
Blogger the rocketboy said...

Yam, I read in further updates, actually wants this movie remade. Very rare for a director to swallow his pride like that and admit that his movie can use some improvement. I admire Yam Laranas for that. He just moved up five notches in my book.

The filmfest entries? You mean those movies already pre-nominated even before they were made or even cast? The headache still lingers from when I found them out since last July.

In the same veinn Maximo Oliveros did very well in the local box office. It just shows that the major studios dont know crap about their audiences. It could have been a bigger hit if they backed it up too.

9:52 AM

 
Blogger e said...

You can never please every audience out there and you can never make a perfect film...or even make movies that can not be compared to other movies.

One Pinoy critic once said, "Yam Laranas...the hollywood wanna be..." Maybe I am, and so what? I guess we should have more faith in the Pinoy talent.

Thanks rocketboy! That's exactly why I want a remake of Sigaw...because I want to correct mistakes in the film : )

Merry Christmas!

9:20 PM

 
Blogger the rocketboy said...

Yam Laranas: Wow. Thank you very much sir. Yes I completely agree that you can never make a perfect film. I bet even Speilberg...even Kubrick (who I heard would never think would even retouch any of his movies) wished that there were some elements in their movies they could've changed. Hats off to you, sir. Keep making great movies. There's nothing wrong with aspiring for something bigger as long as you don't forget your roots. Merry Christmas.

5:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home