Analog Thoughts on a Digital Age

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Movie Review "The Classic" (2003)


A My Sassy Girl clone that's not trying to be but can't help it. I guess that's how i can describe "The Classic". Kwak Jae Yong's follow up to the destiny prevails romantic comedy "My Sassy Girl".

The movie concentrates on two timelines of a mother and daughter during their teenage years, both played by Son Yeh Jin. Their struggles in life and love and of course their fate.

It is obvious that it tries to move away from the MSG context, but I just cant help but see elements that tie them up. I therefore associate it as a little inferior to it's predecessor. It attempts to be more dramatic and concentrates less on the romantic comedy elements that made MSG a hit. Which, in this case can be a letdown for MSG fans. I have talked to soemone ho had seen this movie without seeing MSG first, and she loved it. I guess you can having seen MSG first kind of killed the "experience"for me. Although I don't regret it. Not one bit.
It felt kind of long, even for a Korean melodrama. It was promising a very dramatic climax which kind of just went "pfffft" five minutes into it In the end, I was kind of relieved that it was all over.

Rocketboy's Rating: ** (2 out of 5)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home