Analog Thoughts on a Digital Age

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Movie Review: "My Sassy Girl" (2001)




It was 2:30 in the afternoon, the end of my shift. I was ready to grab my bag and log out and take the bus to Pampanga after a long week of call center work whe I realized one thing. Once I get home, no one will be there. What can I do to pass the time? I remembered one of my office mates who is very fond of Korean and Taiwanese movies has this vcd of "My Sassy Girl(Yeoupgi Jeogin Geunyeo)". When I was teaching Korean expats in Angeles City 2 years ago, my students couldn't stop talking about this movie. They even showed me jpegs of the two main characters in Korean high school uniforms flashing IDs on a bar owners face (see image below). I always dismissed this as patriotism, being that Koreans have very rabid "love your own" attitude. So I grabbed it, "this should keep me occupied."





I am not a romantic film buff. I prefer independent releases and epic war movies. But there was something in "My Sassy Girl" that kept my interest for more than two hours. I'm not big on the whole "destiny" thing. Sure as heck, don't believe in it. But "MSG" comes across as being melodramatic and funny without being cheesy.
It does'nt abuse the "kilig" factor which a lot of our movies use as life support. No "Aga-Kristine"-type romance here. I heard that the lead characters aren't that popular in Korea in the first place.




The guy, Cha Tae-hyun, is a pop singer and this was his first feature. Ge kind of reminds me of Ranier from StarStruck for some reason. One cool thing about Tae-hyun is his facial expressions while watching Sassy Girl puke her guts out on the old man in the wig. He comes out as a lovable sissy when they break into a theme park only to be kidnapped by a runaway soldier. Jun Ji-hyun, only had a previous mediocre role in the movie "Il Mare" to her credit, but shines as Sassy Girl. I didn't really get hre name in the movie. She plays a really convinving drunk, a girl asking for trouble, a fragile wounded soul all in one breath. Plus, she's funny. The high heel shoes chasing scene is a classic.
There were also some parts in the movie that just made me go hmmm..
like in the first motel scene where Tae-hyun comes out of the batthrom butt-naked after answering the phone to be asked where Sassy Girl is to be picked up in her drunken state, and the police come seconds later just as he is about to pick up a towel to hide "himself". Another one whoud be during the "train game" scene with the lipstick line on the train floor. Although this may be one of the funniest scenes in the movie, the sudden appearance of a patrol of soldiers in a public train is rather implausible.


This film comes highly recommended for the idiots (myself included) who had ecountered their own "Sassy Girl" at one time or another. It will remind you of the time you got beaten up by a girl but didn't mind. When she drew attention to the both of you and you just wanted to shrink in shame. And when how much you missed her when she was gone. For the rest of you normal folk, its a good two hours of fun while learning Korean phrases like "Ya! ju-le?" ("Hey, wanna die?")





10 ways to win the Sassy Girl....

1. Don't ask her to be feminine.
2. Don't let her drink over three glasses. She'll beat someone.
3. At a cafe, drink coffee, not coke or juice, .
4. If she hits you, act like it hurts. If it hurts, act like it doesn't.
5. On your 100th day together give her a rose during her class. She'll like it lot.
6. Make sure you learn fencing and squash.
7. Also be prepared to go to prison sometimes.
8. If she says she'll kill you, don't take it lightly. You'll feel better.
9. If her feet hurt, exchange shoes with her.
10. She likes to write, encourage her.



Rocketboy's Rating: *** (3 out of 5)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This movie is like my life.
I'm a guy who's lost my lady wish.
And now whatever I do, my heart is like a ice stone.
But now I found my wife but it's not like the past.
I think i'll never ever forget my lady wish.
She's dead in my arms.
The past is too present in my mind.

3:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haLu pipoL!
well, u know dz movie made me cry alot! and for that i thank 'MY SASSY GIRL' staff and crew or whatever!
i rily lyk dz movie. and i bought a dvd in this movie. i always watch this every time! especially 'WINDSTRUCK' i lykd it vry much! to tell you the truth, i'm still 13 yrs old and i enjoy korean movies! especially if jeon-jihyun[sorry, i dont know how to spell her name.] is there!
so well folks, don't ever miss to see this movie! you'll enjoy this one!
-thnx for introducing 'MY SASSY GIRL' movie to us... it'll make us cry, laugh, and enjoy... thanx very much!-

2:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haLu pipoL!
well, u know dz movie made me cry alot! and for that i thank 'MY SASSY GIRL' staff and crew or whatever!
i rily lyk dz movie. and i bought a dvd in this movie. i always watch this every time! especially 'WINDSTRUCK' i lykd it vry much! to tell you the truth, i'm still 13 yrs old and i enjoy korean movies! especially if jeon-jihyun[sorry, i dont know how to spell her name.] is there!
so well folks, don't ever miss to see this movie! you'll enjoy this one!
-thnx for introducing 'MY SASSY GIRL' movie to us... it'll make us cry, laugh, and enjoy... thanx very much!-

2:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ds movie reminds my teenage life. on how i became a headache in my parents and doing things out of this world like im having my own world, thinking like dr s no future.

1:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home