Analog Thoughts on a Digital Age

Friday, July 28, 2006

Movie Review: "13 Tzameti" (2006)

I havent been watching a lot of indie and European films lately. It's not that I've lost interest in them, Its just that I have basically exhausted most of the films that I found interesting within the last two years that not a lot of the new ones get around nowadays. I had the pleasure of seeing the trailer of 13 Tzameti in Yahoo Movies. Wow! Now that's a trailer. I went to my favorite Quiapo spot to look for a copy. But alas, after 2 hours of searching, I could not find one. Fortunately, an office of mine said that he had a relly good copy with English subs. So I loaned it.

Sebastien (George Babluani) is a down on his luck young man who does odd jobs for money. One time he was hired by an old man to fix his roof. This old man receives a letter, with and invitation and an train ticket. One day, the old man dies in his bathtub from a drug overdose, this means Sebastien wont get paid. All he knows about the letter is that there is cash involved so he gingerly tucks it away in his jacket pocket.
Sebastien uses the train ticket and follows the steps outlined in the letter and after following people around, oblivious to what he got himself into. He ends up in an isolated location deep in the forest.
What he doesn't know is that he had accidentally gotten himself in a high stakes gambling ring where he would be one of the contestants. The game? Russian roulette.



It doesn't help that he is also contestant number 13.

I would have soiled my pants If I were this guy.

Like a bad dream or being on Punk'd, 13 Tzameti puts us in this boy's shoes and makes sure that we piss in them. The suspense in the initial round of play just keeps revving like an engine and goes full throttle till the end. Shot in black and white, it almost demands respect and can be a potential suspense classic. There are already rumors of a hollywood remake allegedly by Brad Pitt (whooo boy, here we go again...)

13 Tzameti is a great watch. Although the beginning may be a little dragging with a lot of character development, it is all worthwhile when you see that lightbulb light up and hear the guns crack.



Rocketboy's Rating: **** (4 out of 5 stars)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home